On 20 January 1902, Carl Jacobsen and Ottilia Jacobsen signed a deed bestowing the New Carlsberg Brewery on the Carlsberg Foundation and founding the New Carlsberg Foundation.
The New Carlsberg Foundation is thus more than a hundred years old, and as anyone who has an interest in the arts will know, the foundation has left its mark throughout the world of art in Danish society: It dominates the museum collections, and its signature is behind thousands of works in public institutions and the public space as well as a wide range of research-based art publications.
Carl Jacobsen’s brewery was called New Carlsberg. Carl was the son of the founder and owner of Carlsberg, J.C. Jacobsen. As many will know, father and son had a strained relationship for many years, and they ran two separate breweries. When the two breweries eventually merged, Carl Jacobsen also merged his foundation with the Carlsberg Foundation.
As laid out in its charter, the Carlsberg Foundation promotes the sciences, while the New Carlsberg Foundation promotes art and art research.
As the overarching foundation, The Carlsberg Foundation holds a controlling interest in the Carlsberg breweries. However, the foundation is required to pass a portion of the proceeds from its shares on to the New Carlsberg Foundation. The Carlsberg Foundation holds a certain influence over the activities of the New Carlsberg Foundations, including the appointment of board members.
The New Carlsberg Foundation is today headed by a board, comprising five members, one of whom is chairman of the board. The chairman is employed by the board full-time, while the four other members serve on the board alongside other occupation, again, typically within the arts.